Sunday, October 20, 2013

Waking up....


I woke up to a glorious fall morning, my new iPhone by my side, I captured the morning's first ray of light.
I am a rather poor sleeper, anxiety ridden into the night... my bedroom is my retreat, my refuge of sorts. As I wake up, my eyes will open to this image, an antique chinese scroll once belonging to the grand son of the last emperor of China, a centuries old goddess statue from Cambodia, a glass necklace from Botswana and flowers from my garden. Waking up to this image encapsulates my life. I clearly recall the moment I laid my eyes on the scroll in an art gallery in the forbidden city in Beijing,  when I fell in love with this ancient statue in Cambodia and when I could not resist the colors of these glass stones while in Africa.
The walls of my bedroom are covered with artwork, soft oil paintings, ancient Indian works on paper, my dearest friend Michelle's paintings, simple drawings bought on the streets of Hanoi, an antique Buddha from Burma on my nightstand.
Every morning, I remind myself that the past is truly enriching my soul, making me stronger to accept the present and live every moment.
My bed is a cocoon with its woven cotton canopy from Bali, dressed in soft embroidered white linens passed on from my grand mother, and a soft luscious thick cashmere blanket. From my bed, I have an open view of the courtyard in its fall splendor, the wall beeing made of glass only, immersing the room into nature, gardens, the sounds of birds...

Enjoy the day,

Francine







7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo, and scene. I do have a suggestion for anxiety and sleep, in case it works for you. British comedies. Seriously. Doc Martin was the best sleep aid I ever found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bedroom sounds like the perfect sanctuary Francine. Your photo is beautiful. I miss our bedroom in Houston. It had that feeling like you could retreat in there and escape the world. Sleeping through the entire night seems to be a luxury these days. You've enveloped yourself in such meaningful items you can't help for start each day feeling well. Have a lovely Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bedroom sounds lovely. Peaceful and calming. being able to look out onto the courtyard with leaves and sky and birds, what a beautiful way to wake up! Those glass beads are just beautiful! Such intense colours and differing shapes! You just have to work on your sleep! Reading in bed before sleep? - Deborah, from Melbourne, Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such is the beauty of things that we collect on our travels Francine ..... not only are they beautifu but, the hold such treasured memories so, what could be better to wake up to ? A beautiful photograph and such a lovely scene when you open your eyes each morning. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sound like waking up is pure pleasure.
    Seeing all the memories must be a delight.
    Enjoy the Beautiful Autumn

    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Francine, you have led a very memorable life and have wonderful mementos from you travels.
    Your bedroom sounds so cocooning!

    xoxo
    Karena
    2013 Designer Series

    ReplyDelete
  7. You wake up to a scene made up of all that you love and a new day begins> PER.FEC.TION Francine! Yes, travels make your present, past and future so much more interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow InterieursNYC on Twitter