Monday, April 2, 2012

Designing for small space: Bedroom suite




Armande canopy from my Interieurs Collection

Designing a small space can be challenging and one common mistake is to think "small" in terms of furniture pieces. I would rather place larger but fewer pieces and  keep a tight design theme. A small bedroom can be inviting, soothing in dark colors and antique furniture, fun and bright, or light and airy.

I finally gave a "new take on life" to what used to be a maid's room and bath. I could not even bring myself to show the "before" as this small bedroom and bath was beyond any help and had not been touched in more than 20 years. The bathroom received the occasional "cosmetic" touch but was in dire need of a total gut job. No longer a maid's room, this bedroom now functions as an occasional guest room.

The room faces East and North, the floors and walls were painted in different tones of Benjamin Moore whites. Some doors were removed and walls added to create a small entry of sorts and give this out of the way space, its own identity.

This back bedroom received its first guest last week end...

This bedroom, once a maid's room is at the end of a corridor, and I felt it needed an entrance to give the small space its own identity. Jose Esteves  sconce and sculpture frame the entry.

Entering the bedroom from the small hall-The fabric for the shade and curtains was handwoven in Majorca, Spain and the blanket came from Guatemala. This blanket kept me warm many cold nights in the very high hills of Guatemala and Belize.





Jose Esteves chandelier, unique piece created for one of his first collection for Interieurs



The bathroom

The bathroom was done entirely in white as its size is minuscule.The fixtures were all purchased on line, with modern Philippe Stark deep tub, contemporary faucets and traditional subway tiles with pencil details. The floors and tub surround are pure white marble.









On to the next project...

A bientot,

Francine







17 comments:

  1. Simply stunning. Love the wide wood flooring and the bathroom is perfect!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francine, I am renovating a bungalow, and this room is full of inspiration. Thank you for sharing. It is gorgeous.
    Happy Monday.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What guest would not be happy here? It looks as though there's a comfortable remove, as well, from the main household activities and potential disturbances. The simple refined taste could welcome anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I feel very honored to have been that first guest! The room is extremely comfortable and the bathroom fresh and sunny. Of course, Francine is certainly a gracious hostess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks perfect Francine. |I love the fact that you chose all white for the bathroom and the blue blind in the bedroom just gives that little 'pop' of colour in an all white room. I think that my favourite item is the white bedspread. I LOVE it.
    I certainly would be very happy to spend a night there !!!!
    Hope that you and your family are well Francine. Much love. XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Francine I love your design for this bedroom and bath, perfection. Adore seeing Jose's lighting included. The art is wonderful.

    Where did the white coverlet come from? Exactly what I am looking for for Springtime!


    xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous room images and I love the bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my heavens what a gorgeous and lovely space. I love white bathrooms, so perfect for a guest bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Francine, thank you for your kind words over on my blog, especially as I have been thinking about you and wondering how your Mom is doing?

    Your guest room is so cozy and so very beautiful! I noticed at least one Buddha to keep your guests blessed. And of course I appreciated all of José's work. The shadows from the suspension light must be so gorgeous at night.

    We are leaving town because it is the Easter Bullfights and the streets will be filled with crazy, drunk people!
    Wishing you a peaceful holiday,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  10. A clear line with an individual and charming touch! It surely looks like a brilliant job!!!

    Looking forward to see your next one...

    Meanwhile, warmest greetings from the Périgord and best wishes for a sunny and Happy Easter,
    karin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice designs...I love that shade and curtains which is made from a handwoven material or fabric - the combination of colors is great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When can I move in? It really is a great job. I love the bedspread. yvone

    ReplyDelete
  13. Francine, J'ADORE!!!! bravo j'arrive...pour le WE., ahah.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so gorgeous--your mix of mediums textures and colors is sublime. Fabulous guest room for a lucky duck!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Francine

    I just love this makeover and the small space is delightful.
    As your new follower (I see we have mutual blogging friends), I look forward to seeing more of your work and to your visit and comments

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to take a bath in that beautiful white room, music, fig fragranced candle, wine etc!
    I love your blog
    bee

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails Follow InterieursNYC on Twitter